CEPR - Center for Economic and Policy Research

Multimedia

En Español

Em Português

Other Languages

Home Publications Blogs Beat the Press Isn't a Government That Bans Importing Drugs from Canada Bigger Than a Government That Allows Imports?

Isn't a Government That Bans Importing Drugs from Canada Bigger Than a Government That Allows Imports?

Print
Tuesday, 24 May 2011 04:02
Not according to Dana Milbank it isn't. Milbank points out ways in which former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty has deviated from the Republican orthodoxy. While Milbank puts these deviations as being support for big government, there is no obvious relationship between these deviations and views on the size of government. Allowing people to buy lower cost drugs from Canada may not be good for the drug industry, but it actually implies a smaller role for the government.
Comments (5)Add Comment
Small Government Protects Both Positive and Negative Liberty
written by izzatzo, May 24, 2011 6:10
Baker is obviously confused on the difference between positive liberty and negative liberty.

Negative liberty is the right of Big Pharma to be free from theft of its property in Canada or anywhere else.

Positive liberty is the right of Big Pharma to extend its property rights anywhere it likes without interference from government or the private sector.

Either way its less government.

Stupid liberals.
Protectionism of Pharma IS Big Government
written by Bill Turner, May 24, 2011 6:44
Izzzatzo must be confused. Is going across the border to purchase a pair (or several dozen pairs) of Levi's theft of property? Obviously not. And, no one prevents such a thing. How come, then is it theft to buy prescriptions in Canada? Stupid conservative cannot admit that this is nothing more than blatant protectionism. Must be a stockholder or an employee of pharma.
An Amusing Theme
written by Ron Alley, May 24, 2011 7:04
Tim Pawlenty has found theme for his campaign.

We’re going to have to look the American people in the eye and tell them the truth, and that’s what I’ll be talking about,” the former Minnesota governor proclaimed to Erica Hill on CBS’s “Early Show” on Monday as he formally began his quest for the Republican presidential nomination.

“President Obama unfortunately doesn’t have the courage to look the American people in the eye and tell them the tough truth,” Pawlenty informed Matt Lauer on NBC’s “Today” show. “I’ll do that.”


Milbank took the time to out Pawlenty. Here in Minnesota we suffered through years of his sham budget balancing and his phony, pious, self-serving take on the truth. The result of Pawlenty in Minnesota has been a fiscal train wreck. Unfortunately, his idol, Ronald Reagan, left California in similar straits.

Let's hope his 15 minutes on stage ends in a pratfall.
goldilocks government
written by frankenduf, May 24, 2011 8:28
this may be the one time where isthatso aint joking- the operational definition which avoids contrdiction is thus: government should be big enough for corporate welfare- the wealthy after all are about 5% of the population; and government should be smaller than that of providing a social safety net for the other 95%, which by defintion is socialism
...
written by Fed Up, May 24, 2011 1:24
"Allowing people to buy lower cost drugs from Canada may not be good for the drug industry, but it actually implies a smaller role for the government."

This isn't actually about lower cost medicines. It is more likely to be about patents and price controls.

Try comparing prices for generic medicines vs. patented medicines in Canada vs. the USA.

Write comment

(Only one link allowed per comment)

This content has been locked. You can no longer post any comments.

busy
 

CEPR.net
Support this blog, donate
Combined Federal Campaign #79613

About Beat the Press

Dean Baker is co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research in Washington, D.C. He is the author of several books, his latest being The End of Loser Liberalism: Making Markets Progressive. Read more about Dean.

Archives