March 20, 2011
Left Forum: Helping Haiti Rebuild with Dignity, Sovereignty and Justice
12:00 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.
Department of Sociology
CUNY Graduate Center
365 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Over a year has gone by since Haiti was struck by a devastating earthquake that killed over 230,000 and left a million and a half Haitians homeless, and - despite the international outpouring of solidarity - reconstruction efforts have floundered and the still raging humanitarian crisis has been compounded by a political crisis. This panel, which was part of the Left Forum conference, explored the reasons why the "international community" has so far failed to help Haiti build back better and propose a radically different approach to supporting Haiti's reconstruction and long-term development which involves, first and foremost, putting the country's destiny back into Haitian hands.
* Alexander Main—Center for Economic and Policy Research
* Theon Gruber - Graduate Fellow at TransAfrica Forum
* Mark Schuller—York College (CUNY)
* Manolia Charlotin—co-founder of Haiti 2015
* Mark Weisbrot—Center for Economic and Policy Research
For more information, visit the event website.