March 18, 2012
Latin America Unites and the Challenge to U.S. Hegemony
12:00 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.
551 5th Ave
New York, N.Y. 10176
With the recent creation of yet another regional western hemispheric organization, the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC), alongside with the already existing Unasur and ALBA projects, Latin American integration moves forward and challenges US hegemony and imperialism. This panel, part of the larger Left Forum conference, discussed how real this challenge is to U.S. hegemony by examining the history of these challenges, its political-economic context, its relationship to social movements in the region, and the official goals of this process.
- Greg Grandin—New York University
- Michael Fox—North American Congress on Latin America
- Carol Delgado—Consulate of Venezuela, In New York
- Mark Weisbrot—Center for Economic and Policy Research
- Alexander Main—Center for Economic and Policy Research
- More information can be found on the conference
More information can be found on the conference website.